Strategies after buying new hard drive

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 10 03:17:19 UTC 2004

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 05:28:26PM +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> [snip]
> > [A more recent example, from the Oracle database world, is to dedicate
> > several spindles (especially striped RAID 0) just for the REDO logs -
> > they *have* to be written physically to disk before Oracle will report a
> > transaction committed; how long it takes for the official data blocks to
> > migrate from cache down to permanent storage is less relevant, but one
> > generally wants the redo logs to be written as blazingly fast as
> > possible; having other disk activity taking place on a device gets int
> > the way of that and is to be avoided]
>
> Oracle with logs on a raid0?  Sounds dangerous to the data.

I seem to recall this being something where it was recommended to have
more than one mirror of them.

If you're doing two or three instances of RAID-0-striped transaction
logs, you're getting the redundancy from a separate source.

> [snip]
> > So, if you have a 4 GB drive and some spanky new drive, then one idea
> > you might consider is putting swap, /tmp, on the 4 GB, and have the more
> > bulky occasional stuff on the other disk. It all depends on what you're
> > trying to do with this system.
>
> And how slow would that make /tmp and swap?  4GB drives are terribly
> slow by todays drive speeds.

Indeed.  It's likely that your newer disk will be faster than the older
ones.

Unless it's a 140GB drive (right, Drew? ;-))...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'gmail.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/nonrdbms.html