Free Software school club?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 15:04:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:51:36PM -0500, Joseph Kubik wrote:
> "Personally my CS degree didn't involve any time on MS products at all."
> I have a CS degree, and like Lennart had very little exposure to or
> need of MS for it.
> I have been a linux user for 8 years now. I know the OS in and out (I think).
> However, I've never had a chance to learn anything about MFC / .NET
> etc. And, the lack of that knowledge has all told been hard on my
> career at times.
>
> All that said, The position I hold now requires detailed admin skills
> on at least Linux and windows, and preferably Netware too.  And a lot
> of knowledge of OS internals (schedulers, init, network stack poking
> and prodding, disk I/O), none of which I learned in school and I wish
> that universities had a better practical approach to theoretical
> knowledge.

The optional "Real Time" course, and the mandetory OS course at waterloo
gave me a pretty decent idea of what goes on inside an OS.

My Co-Op work terms gave me plenty of experience administrating windows
and netware, even if that wasn't really what I wanted to do.  The HP-UX
experience probably didn't hurt, but I sure don't like the OS now.

My knowledge of hardware is mostly self tought by reading way too much
documentation on things, and playing with the hardware when I get a
chance.  CS programs generally don't offer very much hardware courses,
even though sometimes I think they should.  A lot of programmers write
code without the slightest clue how their code design might impact
performance due to how the hardware really does the work.  I guess we
just need smarter compilers. :)

Lennart Sorensen