How to find an Ethernet module name in Slackware 10.0?

Frank Peng frank_peng_01-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 13:52:08 UTC 2004

Hello, gurus!

When I ifconfig, I can find eth0 there. No eth1. When
I ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0 then ifconfig, I can see both
eth0 and eth1 there. I have configured rc.inet1.conf
for the eth1 interface as:

IPADDRESS="10.0.0.1"
MASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY=""
DHCP="yes"

My guess is that the rc.inet1 program failed to bring
the eth1 up.

When I dmesg, I can see one card is RealTek 8139. The
other one is D-Link DFE-530 TXS FAST. When I lnsmod, I
can seee 8139too there but no clue for the D-Link
card.

Now, please enlighten me, what is the module name for
the D-Link card. It is already detected. Why we cannot
find the module name? It is probed in the kernel, not
my the rc.modules? If so, how can we do something like
alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 ????
in /etc/modules.conf ?

It seems we should not do any like that in Slackware
10.0. I am totally lost.

Thank you!

Frank Peng.