Free Software school club?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 7 17:53:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:01:36PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> Can anyone (point to, or) put together a clear comparison / projection
> of IT opportunities / incomes MSCE vs RHCE (or other GNU/linux
> certification) ? I'm sure such a case is easy to support and has been
> presented recently, in the tech press. It would be good to round up the
> argument on one punchy page, and then plunk that page in some
> influential in-boxes.

I personally don't have an interest in either of those two
certifications.  I don't actually much care for any of the
certifications, having met enough people with those certificates who
don't have any practical knowledge for actually fixing real problems.
Not sure how they manage to pass those certifications in those cases.

I am sure there are lots of people with certifications that do know what
they are doing though.  I just seem to have had the bad luck of
encountering a bunch that didn't.  Maybe it's just that the ones who
know what they are doing, don't go around making a big deal out of
having certification.

Personally my CS degree didn't involve any time on MS products at all.
Some first year pascal course was on MacOS, but everything else was on
Solaris, Ultrix, AIX or Irix.  To me a CS degree should teach students
how to write algorithms well, and basic concepts of different types of
programming languages and where each is generally appropriate.  The
actual language to use for a given assignment may be dictated where
necesary, but otherwise left up to the student. (ie don't let students
doing an assignment on string manipulation do it in perl since that
defeats the purpose.)  Doing courses on a specific programing language
or enviroment doesn't teach you much about programming in general.

Lennart Sorensen