Free Software school club?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 7 14:05:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:25:13AM -0500, SlackRat wrote:
> Without wanting to be too negative, this user has just dumped FireFox and gone
> back to using Opera.
>
> I too had been swept away by the FireBird/FireFox/WhatYaMayCallIt Mystique,
> and it definitely has a number of great features. But every release, and
> patches thereto, is getting quirkier than it's precedecessor.

I find it gets better and better, at least the Debian builds.

> Opera, on the other hand admittedly has a few quirks of its own, but after
> using it long enough to firstly discover its idiosyncracies and secondly
> appreciate its power, it is difficult to justify using FireFox.
>
> So when compiling a 'free' software listing, at least acknowledge that other
> browsers/user agents exist, particularly since Opera has now reduced the size
> of its nag ads, which were the reason I abandoned it temporarily, to an
> almost unintrusive size.

I personally tend to have both opera and firefox running, since opera
unfortunately sucks at a few web sites.  The main thing I like about
opera is that at least when it crashes (which is infrequent) or you kill
it, it remembers what pages you were on and goes back to the same state
when you open it.  If firefox did that (and reliably) I think I could
ditch opera permanently with no regrets.  But for now I use two browsers
at the same time.

Lennart Sorensen