Free Software school club?

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 7 04:43:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:34:07 -0500, Igor Denisov <denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does Centennial IT run a common image on _all_ of its Wintel machines?
Yes, they've got Deep Freeze (effectively re-images on cold boot) and
they blast an updated image onto every machine via Norton Ghost at the
start of each year.

> If so, it might be a little hard to convince IT to abandon their
> status-quo-easy-support-M$-only scheme.
> I'd still try though :-)
The whole school is quite in love with MS. Well, in as much as anyone
but Steve Ballmer can love it.
However, it's pretty hard to argue "why not Firefox." All of the web
applications on the intranet work great. No pop-ups. More secure.
Maybe with a bit of nudging, petitioning, protesting.. :)

> Also, I'd get together with friends, ones that aren't even necessarily
> into free software, and simply show them its advantages.
> I got a few of my friends to try/switch to Linux (SuSE / Debian) this
> way, after talking about how it is better than Windoze for about 2
> months
Well I've got one Ubutntu convert, and getting individuals to switch
to Firefox usually just takes a 5-minute demo.
Official clubs get a bit of funding, and only require 25 signatures.
Money would help with advertising, burning discs, etc.
Basically what I think this club *should* do is remind students and
staff that the real world isn't homogenous and that being able to add
"GNU/Linux" to your resume gives you a real edge in IT. It's worked
for me so far. :)

--
Get Firefox - Take back the Web
http://www.getfirefox.com/