Problem and solution activating internal PCI modem

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 6 04:44:07 UTC 2004

  I'm an IStop customer, and my backup account at 295.ca came in handy
last week<g>.  Having one external modem for 2 machines is a bit of a
problem, however.  One machine has a USR PCI internal modem which can
be autodetected by wvdialconf on some distros, but not on others.  I
went to some extra trouble to get it working.  Here's a snippet from
"cat /proc/pci"

Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
  Serial controller: 5610 56K FaxModem 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 1).
    IRQ 9.
    I/O at 0x1470 [0x1477].

  After a couple of hours of screwing around with setserial, I wasn't
able to get any reaction from it.  I finally stumbled over the answer by
accident.  The first 4 serial ports (ttyS0..ttyS3) seem to be reserved
for modems that have their I/O ports in a "normal" range, i.e. 3 hex
digits.  Modems with I/O ports outside that range, have to use ttyS4 or
higher.

  I had originally compiled my kernel with support for only 4 serial
ports.  As soon as I re-built it with support for 8 serial ports (5
probably would've been sufficient) wvdialconf was able to automagically
detect the PCI modem and configure it as ttyS4.  It was that simple.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.