strange MS visits

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 4 10:06:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, James Knott wrote:

> Austin wrote:
>> On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 12:07 -0500, psema4 wrote:
>>
>>> When I got in last night, I ran a traceroute on an IP that's been
>>> trying to get into the member centers on my bbs.  Since those pages
>>> are private, it begged the question, whois?
>>>
>>> OrgName:    Microsoft Corp
>>

>> Yeah, it's very yuck.
>>
>> Whereas google reads a few pages of my site each day, MS crawls the
>> entire site a few times per day, hitting certain pages up to 100 times
>> for no obvious reason.
>>
>> If I block one of their IP's, in true Borg fashion, a new IP starts
>> appearing in the logs.  ;-)
>
> You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.

Hmm, here is a simple trick:

put an image on the website that contains the day's password and user
name, and protect the entire site with this. Users need to enter from the
top and type it in, after which their current session will keep them in
until they leave the realm. Simple to do using .htaccess and a small
hassle to users (you can post an apology with an explanation). This would
be a stopgap measure. If the burrowing continues after that, it's a human
behind it and you will need to take further steps.

Peter