IBM serveraid and linux

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 17:18:44 UTC 2004

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 04:58:34AM -0500, Jason Shein wrote:
> > That is what I was thinking, but why would both work fine, and then when I
> > removed the SCO that was installed on it it now fails?
>
> Well I haven't looked much at the ips driver code, so maybe it does
> interact more than I think.  Does the firmware and driver version both
> seem right together?
>
> I just know in every case I have encountered with drives "dying" every
> week or so, it was a hardware problem.  I have only worked with
> serveraid 4M cards though.

As another data point, one of our customers had some similar machines with
the 4M SeveRAID cards.  They had several failures that took out the entire
array.  The IBM technician who came to replace the failed drives said it
happens a lot so I'm not convinced SeveRAID is all it's cracked up to be.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada