FC3 - Stop '/etc/resolv.conf' from being changed, how?

Brian K. Garel BGarel-Dc855NvzOYgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 16:03:59 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 10:57, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I have now tried everything I can think of to prevent my
> '/etc/resolv.conf' file from being re-written when I switch networks and
> nothing seems to work. I have my own DNS server and I have no desire to
> use other people's DNS servers. I use a laptop so I am frequently
> connecting to DHCP-servered LANs.
>
>    I have tried specifying DNS in the graphical network config, manually
> setting up my devices in '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts' and even
> changing the permissions on the file to '444' but they where changed
> back to '644' and re-written non the less. Can anyone tell me how to
> stop this behavior?
>
>    This is exactly the behavior I -left- MS for (forcing decisions on
> me). Grr!
>
>    Thanks all!
>
> Madison
Hey Madison,

Would something simple like backing up the version of resolv.conf that you
want to use and then after logging in having that file copied in place using
some kind of simple script work?  IMHO it lets DHCP do whatever the heck it
wants and then you "fix" it in the background.

It's not a perfect solution but it sounds right to me.

And he said to David, Thou art more righteous than I: for thou hast
rewarded me good, whereas I have rewarded thee evil.
		-- 1 Samuel 24:17