DVD writing woes

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 26 20:33:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:56:48PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> What is dvdbackup?  What does it use for writing and reading?  Are you
> using ide or scsi access to the drive?  With later 2.4 and all 2.6
> kernels you should be using ide access.

Dvdbackup is a utility designed to extract data from video DVDs -- try
apt-get -u install dvdbackup (at least under Debian testing). It will
mirror the structure of the original DVD exactly, or just extract some
files of your choosing.

I'm running kernel 2.6.7-k7, with the Plextor as an ATAPI device, so
that under dvdrecord I pass the option dev=ATAPI:0,0,0. (It doesn't
help; dvdrecord crashes immediately anyway. Such is life.) I have
enabled DMA access to the Plextor too.

> Are you writing the excact same files that the original DVD had to the
> new one?  If so they are likely still encrypted and there is absolutely
> no way to write the css keys to a DVD-R or DVD+R on a dvd-writer (except
> the high end DVD-R(A) authoring drives where media is about $50 a
> piece).  You must make sure the video files are not encypted with CSS at
> all before writing them to a DVD if you want them to work.  The region
> on the disc where commercial DVDs have the decoding keys and copyroght
> info is unwritable (you can visibly see the line on many blank DVDs)
> I suspect this is why you get css decoding errors.

Well, dvdbackup uses libdvdcss to decrypt the files before ripping them.
It's quite possible that the problem is in the unwriteable sectors, for
which, I suppose, there is no solution. Drat.

> Also you may want to look at the mkisofs options for making DVD video
> since you might need to pass some of those options at the end of
> growisofs.  All the options at the end are passed directly to mkisofs.

To the best of my knowledge the only option required is "-dvd-video" to
preserve the proper structure. Some people have suggested "-V <volume
name>" as well, though I haven't tried that yet.

Can anyone on the list reliably duplicate video DVDs? Is this a fool's
errand, or is it possible?

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42