programming courses?

Rick Tomaschuk rickl-ZACYGPecefkNbK0NzMECUg at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 22 20:34:55 UTC 2004

Linux skills seem to be in demand now more than ever according to the
NEWSLETTER BELOW...My experience has been that you need to offer skills in
many platforms. Often a job description with an outrageous amout of experience is
an "employer wish list". If you have a GOOD personality its a real plus.
All the best,
Rick Tomaschuk
http://www.TorontoNUI.ca

NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER: PHIL HOCHMUTH ON LINUX
08/16/04
Today's focus:  Demand for Linux skills rises

In this issue:

* Jobs requesting Linux skills up 190% from last year
* Links related to Linux
* Featured reader resource
An Economist Intelligence Unit White Paper: From Grid to Great?

Grid computing is breaking out. Familiar mostly to academics,
government groups, and scientific researchers, this technology
that links together the power of diverse computers to create
powerful, fast and flexible systems is beginning to catch on in
the corporate world.   Included in this white paper, results and
interviews from a global survey among Sr Executives, click to
download now
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=72604
CHECK OUT NW FUSION'S NEW WHITE PAPER LIBRARY

Just launched: NW Fusion's White Paper Library with new features
and improved capabilities! Sort NW Fusion's library of white
papers by Date and Vendor, view white papers by TECHNICAL
CATEGORY, mouse over white paper descriptions and take advantage
of IMPROVED white paper search engine. CLICK HERE:
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=72530

Today's focus:  Demand for Linux skills rises

By Phil Hochmuth

IT professionals with Linux skills are in demand, according to a
recent report issued by Dice.com, an online IT job search Web
site.

According to an analysis of job postings on its Web site,
listings for positions requesting Linux skills were up 190%
since a year ago, with 2,200 total postings.

California was the jackpot in terms of most Linux job
opportunities, as 32% of the Linux-related job postings were
from the golden state. The New York/New Jersey area was second
for Linux job opportunities, with 20% of the postings.

What wasn't high on employers' lists was Linux certification. Of
the 2,200 Linux-related jobs posted, less than 1% required Linux
certifications for the positions.

Separately, Dice.com conduced a survey of its users on salary
and perceptions about Linux. The survey found that Linux
professionals are making around $67,000 a year in salary. This
figure was 6% higher than the overall average salary of
respondents to the Dice.com survey.

As for thoughts on Linux, 41% of those surveyed said they
thought Linux was as capable as either Windows or Unix on a
server platform. Meanwhile, 38% said that while Linux is good
for the server room, it is not ready as a desktop operating
system. Thirteen percent said Linux should be used sparingly,
and 9% said they would not recommend the use of open
source software.

RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

Linux makes inroads with Novell users
Network World, 08/16/04
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/081604specialfocus.html
An Economist Intelligence Unit White Paper: From Grid to Great?

Grid computing is breaking out. Familiar mostly to academics,
government groups, and scientific researchers, this technology
that links together the power of diverse computers to create
powerful, fast and flexible systems is beginning to catch on in
the corporate world.   Included in this white paper, results and
interviews from a global survey among Sr Executives, click to
download now
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=72604
ARCHIVE LINKS

Breaking Linux news from Network World and around the 'Net,
updated daily: http://www.nwfusion.com/topics/linux.html

Archive of the Linux newsletter:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/linux/index.html
Making the Most of Your Blade Servers:
Optimize Applications, Increase Security
You already know that blade servers can save space, money, and
resources. But are you making the most of the blade revolution?

Join Network World and F5 to learn about software solutions
that:
* Enable more intelligent traffic management.
* Improve scalability, load balancing, and cost-efficiency
* Enhance security.

Watch now.
http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=72465
FEATURED READER RESOURCE
WONDERING IF YOUR PAY IS UP TO SNUFF?

Check out Network World's 2004 Salary Calculator to see if
you're getting paid what you're worth. Using data collected in
the 2004 Network World Salary Survey, we've programmed this
calculator with several categories that could affect your pay.
Answer the questions and find out what the average salary is for
your job category. Click here:
<http://www.nwfusion.com/salary/2004/calculator.html>
You've got the technology snapshot of your choice delivered
at your fingertips each day. Now, extend your knowledge by
receiving 51 FREE issues to our print publication. Apply
today at http://www.subscribenw.com/nl2

International subscribers click here:
http://nww1.com/go/circ_promo.html

To change your e-mail address, go to:
<http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/ChangeMail.aspx>

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
this message.

This message was sent to: rickl-ZACYGPecefkNbK0NzMECUg at public.gmane.org
Please use this address when modifying your subscription.

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
at: <mailto:jcaruso-cEZpJekPBX4 at public.gmane.org>

Inquiries to: NL Customer Service, Network World, Inc., 118
Turnpike Road, Southborough, MA 01772

For advertising information, write Kevin Normandeau, V.P. of
Online Development, at: <mailto:sponsorships-3f4TfvlK/n9Wk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2004