programming courses?

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 16 11:16:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:22:28
James McIntosh <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Work on Open Source is not feasible: it pays nothing.
>
> Work in a call centre will postpone eviction from my apartment.
>
> Criticism of work in a call centre can come only from the rich ivory-tower
> upper class.

You are incorrect in 4 points....

First, I was not criticising the need to work and the acceptance of grim reality.
There *are* worse alternatives than working in a call center, but there are better
as well. To hang in until you find them, yeah, you have to do it. I've worked in
a call center and it sucks and it's a waste of talent.

Second, yes, you can make money working on OS, I'm doing it right now, mainly by
theming and customizing packages and training rather than working directly on
package development, which is what I think you mean.

Third, anyone can criticize anything, I mean, just read this list :-) Also,
even if I *was* a member of the 'rich ivory-tower upper class' I might still
be right :-)

Fourth, I've also been told I had no marketable skills, in spite of a fairly
long resume. What I discovered was that I had no marketing skills and actually
no market - at that time.

Well, this seems like a good place to end this thread...

Rob

Rob Sutherland - rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Computer Support at http://www.cheapersafer.com