Hiding your proxy server..

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 16 19:33:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:17:27PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> OK, one more time I was a bit wrong. The reply from Taavi Burns was
> correct. The original message was in fact about spoofing of IP. I know
> that it is possible to do that but I do not know is it practicaly easy
> to do it in real life.

If you're on a LAN, then you can spoof and get away with it, by listenting for
the "spoofed" address' packets.  On the big wide Internet, though, any spoofed
packet will end up going somewhere else, so you'll never get the response.
This can be OK for some uses of spoofing, including sending "bad" packets to a
server (ping of death style, etc) or getting the target to respond to the
spoofed "from" IP address (indirect DoS?).

--
taa
/*eof*/