programming courses?

Phillip Mills pmills-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 15 12:45:26 UTC 2004

On Aug 15, 2004, at 7:46 AM, fcsoft-3Emkkp+1Olsmp8TqCH86vg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I think a volunteer co-op or apprenticeship program is a great idea
> too.

Even the volunteer idea turns out to be something of a dead end.  A
little over a year ago, I tried to go that route as a way of keeping
sharp, doing some good at the same time, various other reasons....  I
posted an offer here and got a couple of feelers that didn't turn out.
The funniest reaction, though -- not connected to TLUG -- was from an
HR person at a large charity who seemed very suspicious that anyone
would volunteer to do IT work.  When I explained that I thought
volunteering was a good thing generally and that I'd like to do it in a
way that actually made use of the skills I had, she stopped responding
completely.

So, anyone who can get through to the non-profit community with the
idea that help is available, let me know how you pulled it off.

> It is an unfortunate statement of our times when so much of our
> experienced
> programmer skill base is unemployed or underemployed.

For all kinds of semi-obvious, self-involved reasons (i.e. 26 years in
development), I couldn't agree more.  :-)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714