programming courses?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 14 23:26:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Aaron Vegh wrote:

> It's a Windows world out there, and if you know anyone that says
> different, I'd love to meet them.

Seriously, plenty of real work happens without MS-Windows being involved
at all.

Because MS-Windows currently dominates the desktop many make the mistake
of believing it dominates the rest of computing too.  Trust me, it
doesn't.  If you want real throughput for your database or you want to do
some number crunching, you use Unix (or a mainframe).

I've consulted into financial institutions, insurance companies, debt
recovery agencies, and lots of other types of organisations in different
countries.  Anyone who has serious data management needs is on Unix or a
Mainframe (where they are often unix Unix services).  Ditto for scientific
apps and a lot of other functions.

There are plenty of opportunities for Unix programmers and Sysadmins out
there.  Unix developers and sysadmins are paid more too (as shown by SAGE
salary surveys and others).

Linux has made huge inroads in the last couple of years as has been widely
reported.  It'll be a few more years yet before many of the conservative
Unix admins out there will trust it for big iron jobs (I talk to them
often :)  There are still quite a few Unix admins who have berely touched
Linux or OSS (including Free/Net/OpenBSD), amazingly.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org