Job ads

Phillip Mills pmills-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 23 20:42:43 UTC 2004

On Aug 23, 2004, at 8:34 PM, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> I agree with all you've said excepting the "SomeDatabase version
> 13.04" issue, which can be intrepreted as "we're desperately stuck
> with our mega-application which runs only on this, and we need you
> like air to make it work because however much you ask is less than
> what it takes for us to port the application".

If it's a short-term contract, you're most likely correct.  But I'm
seeing the equivalent requirement so often on job ads...well, can that
many people be "desperately stuck" on so many types of technology?

I think perhaps it's a hangover from when IT jobs were plentiful.
Nobody wanted to spend money on training, assuming that the person
trained would be recruited away from them in seconds.  The flip side of
that coin is that their new employees must be completely familiar with
their environment.  Now, though lots of skilled people are available,
the "raiding" habit hasn't died.  Which also shows up in requirements
as an insistence that the candidate must have acquired technology
experience inside a particular industry.

(Out of curiosity, I just executed a Workopolis search that I use.  Of
the first ten positions returned, four specified software version
numbers and another three specified an industry type.)

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714