Stores that carry SuSE

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 29 01:34:46 UTC 2004

I can confirm this. Avoid UPS like the plague, if you don't want to pay
their usurious brokerage charges. Check with the originating company and
make sure that they are not using these thieves.

I find that stuff comes almost as fast by surface mail delivery as it does
by some courier companies, and the border charges are reasonable.

Peter

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 07:07:40PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Byron Sonne wrote:
> >> On one package I  bought a while ago, the customs
> >> clearance charges (brokerage charges, not Revenue Canada) exceeded the
> >> cost of the item.
> >

> > I hear ya... Free fuckin' Trade my ass...
> >

> This has nothing to do with Revenue Canada or the U.S. side of things or
> free trade.  It has to do with companies bringing an item through
> customs and charging a lot for their effort.  If it comes via Canada
> Post, you don't get anywhere near that charge.  For that matter, there's
> no duty IIRC on  software and wasn't before free trade either.  GST is
> due though.  I just have a problem understanding how it costs a company
> $35 to bring a box across the border on a truck, with very little effort
> on their part. Also the charge varies considerably with the express
> company.  UPS has got to be about the worst.

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,
Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2K3, Canada