TLUG Coup D'etat

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 28 16:51:01 UTC 2004

"Colin McGregor" <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On the other hand for those of us who do not have a car (or other motorised
> vehicle) if a location is not near a subway it is a PAIN to get to (and yes,
> both Seneca @ York and the IBM building are pains). Also, having a nice
> cheap eatery near the meeting location is VERY desirable in my point of view
> as I have found some of the most productive conversations I have had with
> TLUG have happened just before or just after a meeting over a plate of food
> and/or a beverage.
>
> So, lets review the "perfect" TLUG meeting location:
>
> 1. - Space for 50 plus people.
> 2. - Free
> 3. - AV hook-up (i.e. projection monitor)
> 4. - Very near a subway station
> 5. - Nearby cheap food
> 6. - Good cheap/free nearby parking for car drivers

As I live within walking distance to U. of T. and have my office in
Thornhill, perhaps I can bring a little balance to the subway thing.  IMO,
the question we need to answer is what does the "T" in "TLUG" stand for?  Is
it for Toronto as in the old City of Toronto or is it for the "T" in GTA?

If TLUG wants to be inclusive, its members have to recognize that the GTA is
a very big place and subway coverage is a joke.  Thus, limiting meeting
locations to being near the subway, discourages attendance by a large portion
of the GTA.

On the other hand, having used public transit exclusively for many years, I
realize there's a huge difference between a subway ride and a subway ride
plus "short" bus ride.  In reality, there are very few short bus rides and
changing from subway to bus/streetcar is often time consuming.

The wider Linux community has a long history of cooperation and creativity.
As members of that community, I think we should be able to solve this
problem.  I suggest we do three things.  First, rotate locations as NewTLUG
does.  We have two locations in the Northeast, one in the North and one
downtown.  If we can find something in the West, there's something for
everyone.  Second, we can organize a car pool to and from the nearest subway.
Third, begin the meetings with 30 minutes of informal discussion, pizza, etc.
to give everyone a little more time to get there.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada