banks 'n' browser revisited: The sorry tale of HSBC Canada

gabriel danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 27 21:16:19 UTC 2004

On April 22, 2004 09:55 am, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> A couple of years back, Evan Leibovitch put up a very useful page based
> on a discussion that started on this very list:
> <http://www.starnix.com/b-n-b.html>. Banks 'n' Browsers shows which
> banks worked with which browsers.
>
> I didn't expect to flag a deletion in these enlightened days of web
> standards, but HSBC Canada's "new and improved" online banking now
> actively blocks Linux browsers. They upgraded it on the weekend, and
> even though they claim to support Netscape 7.1, it's blocking on the
> fact that it doesn't find Windows or Mac in the user-agent string.
>
> The gory details: <http://scruss.com/blog/archives/000220.html>

i'm a cibc user and while i used to have to pretend i'm an ie user, since they
changed their system, i've had absolutely no problems doing my online banking
in either konqueror or firefox.

> Happy Earth Day, btw!

ditto ;-)

--
there is a race between developers making better idiotproof apps
and the Universe making better idiots.