banks 'n' browser revisited: The sorry tale of HSBC Canada

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 28 14:26:30 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 09:56, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:33:10AM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > I use President's Choice and (the last time that I checked) their website
> > forces me to pretend that I was using IE.  This is really irritating.
>
> I haven't had any trouble with PC for a long time using mozilla or
> opera.  I currently just use mozilla-firefox which works fine for
> everything I do there.

Just checked and you're right mozilla is fine.

>  I think konqueror might balk at the login for some reason, but then again
>  what doesn't it mess up.

When logging in with Konqueror (3.2.1) I get this when trying to login:

 NO MESSAGE for NOT SET in ErrorTableEn.java

When I change my user agent string to be mozilla 1.2.1 the login works fine.
I'm slightly happier with this than with my previous solution (pretending
that I was running IE).

You are right regarding Konqueror 3.2.x it is buggy as hell.  I've been doing
web development for the last few weeks and I've given up on testing with
Konqueror ... one minute a cookie is there, the next minute it isn't, while
things work perfectly in every other browser I have tried.  I've tried to
find a simple test case that tickles the bug but haven't really narrowed it
down yet (I believe it requires a mix of frames and cookies).

However, I've used Konqueror for virtually all browsing in the last few years
and I've found very little that it could not handle.  Even now (version
3.2.1), Konqueror is still my default browser.  Perhaps I am just a sucker
for punishment ;-)