Website framework

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 27 01:58:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:31:38PM -0400, Sidney Shapiro wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> My company is doing a new site for a political candidate for a 2005
> elections. They are looking for something like johnkerry.com and would
> like it to be done within a month or so. I would like something with a
> lot of features out of the box and easy to skin. I think it would be
> cool to use an open source package on a site like this, which is going
> to get huge exposure.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for an open source framework to build this
> on? We have been looking at drupal (too complicated), PHPNuke (A
> possible, but it would require a lot of work), Mambo (not sure), ???
>
> Any suggestions?

I recall reading that one of the web sites during the
presidential primaries was written as open source.
I don't think it was Kerry's, though.  When it was
found, the group reporting on this checked about the
candidate's opinions, but he was not sufficiently
aware of the meaning of open source for it to have
been a deliberate choice by him, just by the web
designer.

So, that gives you two suggestions:

(1) Search for the code in case my memory is right
and hope the code happens to be useful or adaptable
to your needs.

(2) Make sure that you brief the candidate so (s)he
can respond knowledgeably and catch the geek vote.