mailing list archive

Lloyd Budd lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 25 15:20:57 UTC 2004

On 25-Apr-04, at 8:26, William O'Higgins wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 09:53:13PM -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>> On Saturday 24 April 2004 19:23, you wrote:
>>> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/
>>
>> Does not work on my Netscape Communicator 4.78 under Linux.
>>
>> And poorely works under Opera 6.0.
>
> I am compelled to ask why you are using such spectacularly outdated
> software.
If I were to make such a reply , I think that after I would find myself
considering that I was being presumptuous.  My thinking might be:
* why would someone fix what is not broken
* installing software is non-trivial , and may not be possible at all
on a
machine
* dependencies in the environment
... many other thoughts

To be certain , the referred gmane.org archive view does
  not have a good web interface .  It displays poorly in every browser I
have viewed it on.

> Expecting those browsers to work in this day and age
> is ridiculous to me.
Is it?

> NN was widely seen to be an
> abomination that needed to be discarded 18 months after its release,
> and now I'd suggest that using it is totally inappropriate for web
> browsing.
I do not recall you or any one else making a non-abomination readily
available on the large selection of platform at the time?

> The link above even works fine in w3m.
Such a relative concept.

Cheers,
Lloyd