Debian - can't upgrade

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 24 19:18:04 UTC 2004

I have been inspired by all the positve talk about Debian and started
the install. Unfortunately, I have hit a snag. After installing a basic
system, I want to upgrade the applications. I want to use unstable. I
did and apt-get update and then an apt-get dist-upgrade. dpkg is
crashing while trying to update imagemagick. The error is:
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/imagemagick_5%3a6.0.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libMagick.la', which is also in packaged
libmagick5

I have tried apt-get -f install, but it reports that there is nothing to
do.

I tried to find a solution online, but to no avail. Any help greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,
Noah

--
Even Buddha punished evil - "Master Killer"