Nautilus Woes (and Greatness)

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 23 16:45:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:17:44 -0400
Austin Acton disseminated the following:

> > If you have a directory full of jpegs, Nautilus will render them as
> > thumbprints.
>
> Or as a photo gallery (if you have eog installed).  And it will show
> thumbprints of movies (if you have gstreamer installed).  And it will
> let you browse http/ftp/rsync/whatever inside the window (including
> smb/windows shares).  And it will burn CD's in an extremely simple way
> (if you have the cd-burner extension installed).  You can add notes and
> emblems to any file.  You can track your file browsing history.  You can
> view as icons, lists, or trees.  It will also list several different
> applications for each mime type.
>
> Of course, a LOT of this has been skimmed off in gnome 2.6.  The new
> behavior is almost exactly like Windows 98 (if you recall).  They swear
> that it's "better" and that I'll "get used to it", but after only two
> weeks, I still want to scratch my eyes out every time I use it.  Amazing
> how static our behaviour is.

All of these things (except tree view), AFAIK, can be done with ROX filer, a
much more lightweight and flexible file manager.

urpmi rox-lib, and yer good to go! (thanks to Götz Waschk).

Might take a bit of fiddling at first to get it where you want it, but it's
worth it.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046