Nautilus Woes (and Greatness)

Austin Acton aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 20 16:17:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 12:12, Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> > Tim Writer wrote:
> >>  What is Nautilus good for?

> If you have a directory full of jpegs, Nautilus will render them as
> thumbprints.

Or as a photo gallery (if you have eog installed).  And it will show
thumbprints of movies (if you have gstreamer installed).  And it will
let you browse http/ftp/rsync/whatever inside the window (including
smb/windows shares).  And it will burn CD's in an extremely simple way
(if you have the cd-burner extension installed).  You can add notes and
emblems to any file.  You can track your file browsing history.  You can
view as icons, lists, or trees.  It will also list several different
applications for each mime type.

Of course, a LOT of this has been skimmed off in gnome 2.6.  The new
behavior is almost exactly like Windows 98 (if you recall).  They swear
that it's "better" and that I'll "get used to it", but after only two
weeks, I still want to scratch my eyes out every time I use it.  Amazing
how static our behaviour is.

Austin