Q: Mailbox format

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 23 01:16:38 UTC 2004

At 13:56 22/04/2004 -0400, William Park wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:44:02AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > If you have mainly small emails, then mailbox format is faster due to
> > open/close overhead.  It's a tradeoff really.  Perhaps a better format
> > would be some kind of database which can have just one large file, but
> > have the indexing to help it jump to headers and such.  Could even
> > make searching faster by indexing each header field and such.  no such
> > standard of course at the moment.
>
>Even better (just dreaming) is to use database filesystem.  Journal
>filesystem is just one step in that direction.  Wait... that would be
>bad for Oracle and DB2, no?

I believe Longhorn uses SQL Server for its filesystem. BeOS had some
database engine for its filesystem I think. Lotus Notes has the option of
using DB2 for storage. I just started reading about Subversion and am
intrigued at the idea of trying it out as a filesystem.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419