Q: Mailbox format

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 22 21:15:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 03:32:34PM -0400, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> That's probably why in IMAP, we tag messages to be deleted before actually
> delete them (expunge) in group (several messages at once).

True.

> In mbx format, there is a pointer to jump over messages quickly.

Not that I have ever noticed.  What does it look like?  To me mbx
appears to be plain header content header content etc.  Maybe I missed
some magic field.

> The article said in the end about using database as mailboxes.
>
> Is there any development on mail library -- and consequentially IMAP
> server, POP server, etc. -- that use database engine as it backend?

It certainly seems like something that could be done.  But given how
many email clients thereare most of which do their opwn thing, I guess
it makes it hard to implement.

Lennart Sorensen