Killing spam

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 21 23:58:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:09:48 -0400
William Park disseminated the following:

> > http://www.xisp.net/notespam/
> >
> > http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net/
>
> Rather than relying on 3rd-party program claiming to know what emails
> you should receive and what emails you shouldn't, you should tailor
> ~/.procmailrc to suit your needs.

Actually, Mailfilter is very similar to procmail in that it uses regexp to
define rules, AKA 'recipes'. Cool thing is, it deletes the spam before you even
download it; and since MF automagically 'normalizes' the header info, you don't
have to worry about insanely complicated regexp to deal with the V-ia?g*ra
stuff.

This one alone catches a *lot* of spam:

SCORE +100=^(To|Cc):(.*sympatico\.ca){3}

Notespam is like a Procmail plugin, and it is customizable to be as aggressive
as you wish.

Of course, I also use Dallman Ross's virussnag and the every popular YAVR, since
Mailfilter only looks at the headers, not the content, and Notespam is based
only on RBL's.

*All* HTML mail gets tagged as spam, except mail to my biz/family address.

Not *everybody* has the grey matter or time to learn regexp and egrep in all
their wondrous glory, as you evidently do ;-)

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046