Killing spam

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 21 05:09:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:10:46AM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:09:43 -0400
> Lance F. Squire disseminated the following:
>
> > What's the best/easy spam filter out there right now.
>
> I've found these to be an easy and effective way of beating spam. Between the
> two, I kill about 99% of the spam, and get a false positive rate of about 1 or 2
> out of a hundred (mostly because I use spamcop with notespam, which is very
> aggressive):
>
> http://www.xisp.net/notespam/
>
> http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net/

Rather than relying on 3rd-party program claiming to know what emails
you should receive and what emails you shouldn't, you should tailor
~/.procmailrc to suit your needs.

For me, I delete Microsoft Swen spams from my public POP accounts, and
reject it during DATA portion of SMTP connection on my own Sendmail
server.  The pattern I use to identify Swen worm is
    boundary="[a-z]+"

I accept the following spams, but filtered for later viewing:

Last, any email which went through Microsoft servers or APNIC (Asia
Pacific) region is quaranteed for later viewing:
    boundary="-*=_NextPart_.*"
    ^X-(MSMail-)?Priority:
    (6[01]|20[23]|21[0189]|22[012])\.[1-9][0-9]?[0-9]?\.[1-9][0-9]?[0-9]?\.[1-9][0-9]?[0-9]?

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client