istop

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 18 12:22:42 UTC 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 13:00, Anton Markov wrote:

> I have been looking at switching to IStop myself, but what bothers me is
> that their website says my phone line can only run the 1.5Mbit service.
> I know this is true too, because my current provider, Wiznet (formerly
> DSL.ca) have upgraded their service to 3Mbit, but I still only get
> 1.5Mbits download speeds (although my uploads have went up to the
> advertised ~600Mbits).

My understanding of DSL is that all customers are plugged into Bell DSLAMs
regardless of who their ISP is (assuming basic residential service here).
Your new ISP will only be able to provide you with the service level that is
already in your area.

3MB upgrades were relatively recent, I know people that just got them within
the past month.  It's possible that your area just hasn't been upgraded yet.

Do you have any access to your DSL modem?  Some modems can tell you their
connection speed, your speed limitation might be Wiznet (upstream) not the
local loop.  If the modem cannot tell you your speed then I would just ask
istop they may have an idea of when your area will get 3MB or you may be able
to approach Sympatico about it (under the guise of switching to their
service).

Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg==@public.gmane.org>                 http://www.wehave.net/