istop

Moniz Family john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 17 20:50:52 UTC 2004

Anton Markov wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I have a somewhat related question/situation:
>
>I have been looking at switching to IStop myself, but what bothers me is
>that their website says my phone line can only run the 1.5Mbit service.
>I know this is true too, because my current provider, Wiznet (formerly
>DSL.ca) have upgraded their service to 3Mbit, but I still only get
>1.5Mbits download speeds (although my uploads have went up to the
>advertised ~600Mbits).

Wiznet may still have your serviced choked at 1.5Mbps, even though they
made available the 3Mbps service. Did you call them, it could just be an
admin error. Or it could be true.

>So here are my questions:
>
>- - What can be the reason for this? Distance? Line quality?

If true, then it's almost certainly distance. They wouldn't know about
your line quality.

>- - Who should I call to find out the reason?

You could call Wiznet or whatever ISP you intend to do business with.

>- - Is there something I can do to get 3Mbit ADSL service, or should I
>start looking at alternatives? What good alternatives are there besides
>cable?

You want to make sure your ISP isn't choking your speeds. If not, only
the rollout of newer technology will help you (VDSL on the way?), or
something like cable.

>- - If I am forced to use 1.5Mbit ADSL, is there a provider that will give
>a discount for not using the full 3Mbit service. I don't want to pay for
> bandwidth I am not getting.

Some ISPs, like Sympatico, have different prices for different services
(but may be more expensive for each service ???).