Fedora Woes

Paul Mora paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 16 00:47:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 12:14, Tim Writer wrote:

> <rant>
> Nicer?  I've been programming with Unix since 1983, using X since 1988, and
> providing professional services for Unix (and later Linux) since 1993.  Since
> 1993, Unix/Linux has served as my primary desktop and I haven't spent more
> than a few consecutive hours in front of Windows.  I've used twm, olwm, 4dwm,
> mwm, fvwm, WindowMaker, xfce, KDE, and some early releases of GNOME.  Some
> months ago, I tried GNOME 2.4 on my Debian system (happily running KDE 3.1.x
> at the time).  Not only did it take me hours to get GNOME up and running, I
> don't remember how long it took me to find the above Session Manager menu,
> and even then it didn't work reliably.  Sometimes a program would start,
> sometimes it wouldn't.  Eventually, I gave up and hacked ~/.xsession.

I knew that comment of mine would get something going. (grin)

What I really meant by "nicer" was a nice friendly GNOME way of doing
it.  Even if the end result is not so nice, and not so friendly.  I
agree with the points you made about GNOME.  In the last few years, I've
been flip-flopping back and forth between GNOME and KDE (lately settling
on KDE).  I have also seen the same things you have; inconsistencies
with GNOME, and having difficulty finding the right configuration
options.  I like the fact that KDE brings it all together nicely under
the Control Center.  Red Hat tries to provide something similar, by
creating a Nautilus "view" called  Control Center, where all the
configuration program launchers are, but it's not quite there yet.

Sometimes I think wistfully back to a time where I would spend hours
editing my .fvwmrc file just to get my FVWM menus right.

> I have nothing against desktop environments.  In fact I like KDE and use it
> daily, although I spend most of my time at the command line in an xterm or in
> Xemacs.  While I think the GNOME project has produced a lot of good software,
> I don't consider the GNOME desktop a success.
> </rant>

Well said.

pm

--