Fedora Woes

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 16 15:44:06 UTC 2004

Paul Mora <paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I like the fact that KDE brings it all together nicely under
> the Control Center.  Red Hat tries to provide something similar, by
> creating a Nautilus "view" called  Control Center, where all the
> configuration program launchers are, but it's not quite there yet.

Don't get me started on Nautilus.  For me, the introductio of Nautilus was
the beginning of the end for GNOME.  With Nautilus, the GNOME project strayed
so far away from the Unix philosophy, esp. the idea that programs should do
one thing well, you'd think Microsoft was running the project!  Try
describing Nautilus in one brief, understandable sentence.  Here's mine:

   Nautilus: the all singing, all dancing, swiss army chainsaw that eats
   memory for lunch and serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

> Sometimes I think wistfully back to a time where I would spend hours
> editing my .fvwmrc file just to get my FVWM menus right.

Yep.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada