apt problems

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 14:19:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:12:01PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> alrighty, tried that and got;
>
> root-FHL3x92oaS0 at public.gmane.org:/mnt/hda8/djp# dpkg --force-depends -r xlibs
> dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove xlibs, only the config
> files of which are on the system.  Use --purge to remove them too.
>
> I guess the previous commands  took xlibs out.
> so, not really knowing wht I'm doing, I tried "dpkg --purge xlibs"
> and got;

You don't want to purge the config, just temporarily remove the files so
something else can be unpacked.

> gimp (and  depends on xlibs (>> 4.1.0) | libxt6; however:
>  Package xlibs is to be removed.
>  Package libxt6 is not configured yet.
> configured"<<<<
> [snip] ending with;
> dpkg: error processing xlibs (--purge):
> dependency problems - not removing
> xlibs
>
> so "apt-get remove gimp"
> spat out a great ream ending with;
>
>  xskat: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>  xtel: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>  xterm: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>  xtv: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>  xvncviewer: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>  xzoom: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>  yelp: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution)
>
> baffled ? you bet !
> ready to try something else ? why not !
> thanks /again/ ,

What happens when you do this then:

apt-get install libxev xlibs

And what when you do this?

apt-get -f install

I am trying to figure out which other package is causing the problem.
xlibs and libxev are two of them, but something else must be having
issues too.

Lennart Sorensen