apt problems

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 00:12:01 UTC 2004

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>If you do: dpkg --force-depends -r xlibs
>
>Then apt-get -f install should complain about some things that depends
>on it.  If it fails to run then something else is conflicting too, maybe
>xlibs-dev.  Whatever it says is causing a problem, you can remove using
>the same dpkg command.  This is anything causing an overwrite problem.
>
>I managed to upgrade X on my system a month ago or so which encountered
>this, and it didn't take too many steps to get around it.
>
>Lennart Sorensen

alrighty, tried that and got;

root-FHL3x92oaS0 at public.gmane.org:/mnt/hda8/djp# dpkg --force-depends -r xlibs
dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove xlibs, only the config
 files of which are on the system.  Use --purge to remove them too.

I guess the previous commands  took xlibs out.
so, not really knowing wht I'm doing, I tried "dpkg --purge xlibs"
and got;

 gimp (and  depends on xlibs (>> 4.1.0) | libxt6; however:
  Package xlibs is to be removed.
  Package libxt6 is not configured yet.
configured"<<<<
[snip] ending with;
dpkg: error processing xlibs (--purge):
 dependency problems - not removing
 xlibs

so "apt-get remove gimp"
spat out a great ream ending with;

  xskat: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
  xtel: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
  xterm: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
  xtv: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
  xvncviewer: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
  xzoom: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
  yelp: Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution)

baffled ? you bet !
ready to try something else ? why not !
thanks /again/ ,