/etc

Jeremy Wakeman cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 14 22:08:59 UTC 2004

There were a few emails earlier discussing why not to put /etc on a
separate partition.  I have a similar question: What exactly do you need
to have in /etc (and when in the boot process)?  I am doing an apt-get
dist-upgrade (from woody to sarge) on a single partition installation
that is used as the basis for a live-cd, and I am trying to ln -s as
much as possible to a /var/etc dir that is mounted rw instead of ro.

AFAICS, the following need to be readable immediately, so cannot be ln
-s to /var/etc, as my /var is mounted too late in the boot process.

/etc/inittab
/etc/init.d
/etc/rc?.d
/etc/rc.boot
/etc/fstab
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/etc/gshadow
/etc/pam.d

Is there anything I am missing?  /etc/bash.bashrc?  /etc/terminfo?
/etc/modules.conf?

TIA,

-Jeremy

--