/etc

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 02:21:03 UTC 2004

Jeremy Wakeman <cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org> writes:

> There were a few emails earlier discussing why not to put /etc on a
> separate partition.  I have a similar question: What exactly do you need
> to have in /etc (and when in the boot process)?  I am doing an apt-get
> dist-upgrade (from woody to sarge) on a single partition installation
> that is used as the basis for a live-cd, and I am trying to ln -s as
> much as possible to a /var/etc dir that is mounted rw instead of ro.
>
> AFAICS, the following need to be readable immediately, so cannot be ln
> -s to /var/etc, as my /var is mounted too late in the boot process.
>
> /etc/inittab
> /etc/init.d
> /etc/rc?.d
> /etc/rc.boot
> /etc/fstab
> /etc/passwd
> /etc/shadow
> /etc/group
> /etc/gshadow
> /etc/pam.d
>
> Is there anything I am missing?

Yes. :-)

Seriously, it's very difficult to give you a comprehensive answer because
there are just way too many variables.  For example, you asked if you need
/etc/modules.conf.  Well, it depends.  If / is on IDE and /var is on SCSI,
you _might_ need /etc/modules.conf in order to mount /var.  I say "might"
because that depends on your kernel and how you load modules.

The best advice I can offer is to look at how some CD based distributions do
it.  KNOPPIX is comprehensive but might be complicated, RIP is small, and
there are many others.  Have a look at the Linux distributions list at
http://lwn.net.

HTH,

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada