debian renovation

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 14 04:31:38 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 04:16:19PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
>

>>I plan to use the latest Bonzai, and then bump that install up to
>>"unstable".
>>

>If Bonzai is a pure Debian system then that's probably reasonable, otherwise
>I'd just use Debian's installer, it isn't pretty but it's reasonably
>straightforward for i386.

I believe it is all debian

>Even if you go with unstable for the install I would "dumb" it down to at
>least testing after that ... and then to stable once the new Debian release
>is out (RSN ;-).

Start with unstable and work backwards ? all the way to stable ? Woody ??
sheesh, I'll be movin' rocks around the screen    ;-)

>  If you constantly track unstable (and even testing sometimes) you'll find yourself in pickles like you're in now ... rarely fatal but you need a good understanding of the package manager to resolve
>them.

I have much to learn about the packager; are you referring to dpkg or
apt-get or both ?
Should I climb the "aptitude" learning curve, or what ?

>Here's how I always do it ...
>
>Install bare minimum.  You'll have a system that boots and takes 100-200 MB of
>diskspace (assuming testing/unstable).  After installation is "complete" then
>you can begin the customisation process:
>
>- run tasksel for easy installation of large group of packages (i.e. X core)
>- selectively run apt-get install ...
>
>If you're a kde fan then I'd look for kde packages like this:
>
>  apt-cache search kde | grep ^kde

Honestly, I've been eager (but unable) to play in gnome2.6-land for some
time.
Also, I'm itchin' to run kernel_2.6.x

>"apt-get install kde" might do it all but if you're using unstable you can
>never trust that there are no conflicts.

Damn ! I can't have my cake and eat it too ? I gotta learn MORE ? whew !

>How do you plan to do the new install?  Is your disk partitioned (i.e.
>is /home, /var, etc separate from /)?  Is there data on your machine that you
>care about, how have you backed it up?

I have /home on a separate partition and have a partition I was goung to
use for /usr, I could also separate /var and /etc, would you reccomend
this ? What files system(s) would you reccomend ? ext3 ? xfs ? reiser3 ?
    and I'm 90% backed up .. (he slinks off and fires up k3b) .. thanks,
djp