debian renovation

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 13 21:34:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 04:16:19PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:

> I have a somewhat munged debian install (born of Knoppix 3.2 HD install)
> and want to make thing right.
> I plan to use the latest Bonzai, and then bump that install up to
> "unstable".

If Bonzai is a pure Debian system then that's probably reasonable, otherwise
I'd just use Debian's installer, it isn't pretty but it's reasonably
straightforward for i386.

Even if you go with unstable for the install I would "dumb" it down to at
least testing after that ... and then to stable once the new Debian release
is out (RSN ;-).  If you constantly track unstable (and even testing
sometimes) you'll find yourself in pickles like you're in now ... rarely
fatal but you need a good understanding of the package manager to resolve
them.

The new Debian installer (still being developed) does a pretty good job of
hardware detection, you just need to download two floppies, everything else
is downloaded from the Internet (including most of the installer itself).
Particularly if you have a spare machine you might want to try this to see if
it is good enough.

Just grab boot and root floppies for the installer from
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/
If CD is preferred, daily built minimal isos (25MB) are downloadable from
http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/daily/ ... the installer is still in
development so there's a small chance that the image you grab might be broken

> Any hints, warnings or favorite how-tos ?

Here's how I always do it ...

Install bare minimum.  You'll have a system that boots and takes 100-200 MB of
diskspace (assuming testing/unstable).  After installation is "complete" then
you can begin the customisation process:

- run tasksel for easy installation of large group of packages (i.e. X core)
- selectively run apt-get install ...

If you're a kde fan then I'd look for kde packages like this:

  apt-cache search kde | grep ^kde

"apt-get install kde" might do it all but if you're using unstable you can
never trust that there are no conflicts.

> And before I do it I want to clear some space. What are the prime
> candidates for file slaughter ?
> locales ? logs ?
> /var/cache/archives ?

How do you plan to do the new install?  Is your disk partitioned (i.e.
is /home, /var, etc separate from /)?  Is there data on your machine that you
care about, how have you backed it up?