kdm & gdm problems (sad story gets longer)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 13 21:09:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 12:39:07AM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> So, I says to myself, surely this is an older bent version of kdm.
> apt-get to the rescue, right ?
>
> root-FHL3x92oaS0 at public.gmane.org:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get install kdm
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>  libarts1-mpeglib: Depends: libxv1 but it is not going to be installed
>  libarts1-xine: Depends: libxv1 but it is not going to be installed
>  mpeglib: Depends: libxv1 but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or speci
> olution).
> root-FHL3x92oaS0 at public.gmane.org:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get -f install
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Correcting dependencies... Done
>  libxv1
>  libxv1
> 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 837 not upgraded.
> 237 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/131kB of archives.
> After unpacking 295kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> (Reading database ... 172449 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking libxv1 (from .../libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--
> ):
> trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in packa
> bs

Whatever package was actually listed in the 'is also in package ...' you
need to temporarily remove while upgrading to xf86 4.3.  That is one of
the hazards of debian unstable.

try this:

dpkg --force-depends -r packagename

where packagename is the package that conflicted with libxv.  then try
apt-get -f install again to reinstall the missing pieces, and then
reinstall the package you just removed if apt-get -f install didn't
automatically grab it again in the new xf 4.3 version.

This stuff happens sometimes when a file moves from one package to
another, in which case the order of unpacking matters, which they later
fix (usually) before the release makes it into the next stable release.

> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
>
> should I dive in and move/delete/rename /usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0 ?
> should I apt-get upgrade ? (had screwd up eveything, in the past)
> reinstall ?
> start looking for that ol' Win98SE disk ? (kidding)

Don't go messing manually in the file system, it won't help at all.

Lennart Sorensen