kdm & gdm problems (?)

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 11 20:07:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 02:54:15PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
>I thought I would try gnome 2.6 so I "apt-got" gnome, waited for the
>slew of updates and logged in to a gnome-session (via kdm) nuthin' happened.
>kdm config, I guessed. there must me some way of pointing to the new
>gnome environment, but I have no idea how.
>Well maybe kde3.2 can figure it out, I thought, so "apt-get install kde"
>! The update process was huge and successfull (no errors) but now when I
>attempt to log into a kde session I get the same fat nuthin' as gnome.
>Helooo icewm.

Yes, exactly.  Or openbox, fluxbox, pekwm etc...

>What am I doing wrong ?
>thanks,

Look around for a program called switchdesk, which allows you to point
and click your way to a new desktop environment.  This is just a
front-end for modifying files such as ~/.xsession-default and
~/.xinitrc.  Take a look at those files and see what they say.  I don't
know off-hand what the gnome start command is, but you can find that
out.  KDE is, I think, startkde.  Try these and similar from a prompt
and see what you get.
--

yours,

William