kdm & gdm problems (?)

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 12 03:55:38 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:

>On Sunday 11 April 2004 14:54, David J Patrick wrote:
>

>>Well maybe kde3.2 can figure it out, I thought, so "apt-get install kde"
>>! The update process was huge and successfull (no errors) but now when I
>>attempt to log into a kde session I get the same fat nuthin' as gnome.
>>Helooo icewm.
>>What am I doing wrong ?
>>

>I haven't looked through the startup in huge detail so there might be a better
>way but this seems to work for me:
>
>Want GNOME?
>
>  echo /usr/bin/gnome-session > ~/.xsession
>
>Want KDE?
>
>  echo /usr/bin/startkde > ~/.xsession
>
>There's also a file ~/.dmrc which is where kdm (and presumably other display
>managers) track your choice of Session.  My .dmrc looks like this:

Well here's the thing; I've got no ~/.xsession nor ~./dmrc !
Should I just create them ?
I feel inadequate ! short changed !
I rooted around /etc/ too, with no luck.
Did I mention I'm using debian ? (I asumed reference to apt-this&that
would be enough of a clue)

>[Desktop]
>Session=kde
>
>Presumably you can set Session=gnome in there if you like.  I've seen the
>blank screen syndrome as well (I'm guessing that's what you see?)

What I see is this;
the kdm log-in dialog (and it's background) with a selection of user
buttons and input widgets for username, password, as well as dropdowns
for session, menu and .. another thing I can't remember. None of it
leads to deeper session options. On selection of either a gnome or kde
session, the dialog goes away (leaving the purty debian background) and
that's it. I have to ctrl-alt-f2 and kill gconf via "top".
Don't get me wrong, icewm is workable, but man I should be able to get
the new kde and gnome to run.
thanks for your help,
djp