Microsoft ad looks like "news"

Kristofer Coward kris-y6ukv7ArdSHYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 9 04:50:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 06:34:42PM -0600, Taavi Burns wrote:
> I was just on the subway and started reading a headline in the Tech
> section of today's Globe and Mail over someone's shoulder:
> "Microsoft vs. Linux: A 360 Degree View"
>
> Oh, this should be interesting.  Wait.  What's this...the header on
> this page is different.  It says, "This page presented by Microsoft."
>
> Fsck.
>
> So the whole top half of the page LOOKS like news (headline, columns,
> picture and all), but is really just a wad of FUD about how the Toronto
> (Ontario?) Catholic Schoolboard tried 308 Linux workstations and had
> them use 25-30% of the network to download software patches and code.
> Or something.  I couldn't quite read it clearly, seeing as I wasn't
> holding it.
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd share, in case anyone gets asked about it
> or catches wind.  It's not like you'll find it in any online version,
> I suspect, as it's an ad, not "news."  It's disturbing (but not surprising
> in the least) that M$ would attempt to ride on the coattails of actual
> journalism while pushing purely their own agenda.
>
> What other insidious and dirty tricks are they up to, I wonder?

It's not really such a big deal. I remember seeing similar ads taken
out by Rogers, touting news about how cable was demonstrably superior
technology to DSL, thoug I doo seem to recall the Rogers ads having a
slightly more humorous bent to them so that they were more obviously
fake.

--
Kristofer Coward				http://unripe.melon.org/