Microsoft ad looks like "news"

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 9 00:34:42 UTC 2004

I was just on the subway and started reading a headline in the Tech
section of today's Globe and Mail over someone's shoulder:
"Microsoft vs. Linux: A 360 Degree View"

Oh, this should be interesting.  Wait.  What's this...the header on
this page is different.  It says, "This page presented by Microsoft."

Fsck.

So the whole top half of the page LOOKS like news (headline, columns,
picture and all), but is really just a wad of FUD about how the Toronto
(Ontario?) Catholic Schoolboard tried 308 Linux workstations and had
them use 25-30% of the network to download software patches and code.
Or something.  I couldn't quite read it clearly, seeing as I wasn't
holding it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share, in case anyone gets asked about it
or catches wind.  It's not like you'll find it in any online version,
I suspect, as it's an ad, not "news."  It's disturbing (but not surprising
in the least) that M$ would attempt to ride on the coattails of actual
journalism while pushing purely their own agenda.

What other insidious and dirty tricks are they up to, I wonder?

--
taa

   If "everybody knows" such-and-such, then it ain't so,
   by at least ten thousand to one.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/