RSS Protocol?

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 8 13:07:48 UTC 2004

Paul King wrote:

>I am interested in learning more on the RSS protocol, particularly any protocol
>advertising itself as GPL (I am aware there is more than one RSS protocol at
>this time). I am interested in writing my own source at this time. However, if
>there is existing source out there that anyone is aware of, please bring it up.
>
>The purpose would be for the downloading of newsfeeds, not "blogging".
>
>Paul King

An important distinction between protocol and implementation must be
made here.  RSS is "open" in that the specification for it is freely
available.  I've included links to the specs for 0.91, 0.92, 1.0 (RDF),
and 2.0 below.  Note that none of these are GPL - the standards are
published, but that's about it.

Now, the software that can read, parse, aggregate, format, and otherwise
work with RSS feeds comes in many sizes and shapes.  Much of it is GPL,
including the links supplied by Frasier, and many are not.  The question
becomes, what do you want to do with the RSS data?

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss
http://www.w3.org/RDF/
http://backend.userland.com/rss092
http://backend.userland.com/stories/rss091