the problem with Linux?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 7 21:08:45 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 19:09, Noah John Gellner wrote:

> I recently installed Fedora Core 1 and had to go through a minor battle
> to get CUPS to work with my Netgear printserver. Fedora requires that a
> queue be specified, the printserver doesn't use a queue. Furthermore,
> the auto print tool sets up the wrong driver which limits the resolution
> to 600 dpi instead of 1200.
>
> I am curious to hear people's opinions about the usability issue. In my
> mind it is the biggest barrier that Linux faces with respect to desktop
> success. I think that the software core is ready, but these details are
> presently fatal.

I've resisted this until now but since the distro questions have come up
elsewhere in the thread what the heck ...

I am curious to find out why people use Fedora.  Have those using Fedora ever
tried Debian, what was the deciding factor in going the Fedora route?  I am
genuinely curious about this issue, since I cannot come up with any reasons
to choose Fedora personally.