LINE IN device?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 1 15:00:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:56:42PM -0500, SRB wrote:
> How I can find out which device refers to my motherboard's Line Input? I'm
> trying to record in Audacity but the default setting is wrong and do not
> know how to find out what the proper entry should be.
>
> I'm using a few different Live CD distros, so would like to be able to learn
> how to do it in any Linux distro.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

Well I recently read that at least with ALSA drivers, some AC97 onboard
sound chips have the ports assigned wrong (they have some option that
can toggle them around).

I think in general, /dev/dsp is both in and out from a sound card.  OF
course line in has to be unmuted and turned up in volume (I think) for
input to work.  Well capturing should at least be set to that port
(having it muted so you don't hear what it's recording is probably still
a viable option.)

If you are not using ALSA drivers, what are you doing playing with sound
in Linux? :)

Lennart Sorensen