Pings

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 20:19:07 UTC 2003

> How difucult would it be to redirect my logs to my windows machine so I
> can copy them to a floppy and then review them from it? It doesn't sound
> too difficult, just something I've personally never done before.

I'm not sure it's doable. I know that you can set syslog to serve to
another *nix server, but you need a receiver on the other end of the data
stream. I dunno if there's such a beast for windoh$.

> Last nite is where I noticed my network come to almost a standstill when
> trying to open up the simplest of pages such as google.com, any idea why
> this would have happened, maybe it was peak time for Roger's but I've
> never really noticed this in the past.

If someone sharing your trunk was doing something that requires massive
bandwidth without setting QoS, they could be hogging the pipe.

Run snort outside your firewall to see what's happening. It requires your
NET_IFACE be in promiscious mode, so don't use a precious machine for it.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.