Instant messaging --> now what?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 20:02:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Steve Barbour wrote:

> I think this is a legal issue of protecting privacy as the companies
> themselves would be liable for personal information that someone using these
> tools could pass on or post about someone else without having their written
> consent. It has to do with new privacy legislation such as the Canadian
> PIPEDA laws. It isn't about charging for the use of the products this time!

What legal issue ? Whose privacy ? I respect your opinion, but by this
logic talking privately on the corridor of a downtown mall during lunch
break would make the mall owners responsible for the content of the
discussion, and mandate them to record it so they can cover themselves in
case something happens as a result of that discussion. The next step would
be the interdiction of congregation, which is not unknown under martial
rule. You would like to impose both of these things, without martial
law ? Come on.

Peter